Saturday, February 5, 2011

The same yesterday today and forever

It has been a tough week.  For the past several weeks, we have been investigating some belly problems with Madeline.  It all began a few weeks ago with a swollen belly that has since resolved and an abnormal xray, and ended this week with another abnormal test and a likely diagnosis of Hirschsprung's disease.  In brief summary - it is a congenital disorder that affects the large intestine...nerve cells are missing in part of the bowel and if this segment is not removed, it could lead to major problems in Madeline's belly.  Madeline has continued to be a champ - eating and sleeping well with some occasional fussiness - but she has a hard few weeks coming up with a biopsy next week, and if that is positive, a major surgery soon after that.  It is incredibly hard to process right now...she is just so little and she's my baby...but I know that I have to strong for her and also for my big girls.  I also know that I have a Lord who will be my strength when I feel I have none, which is often.

In spite of bad news this week, there were blessings along the way...an incredibly kind radiology technician, loving strangers who prayed for Madeline (and an overwhelmed me) in the surgery clinic, and physicians who were gracious with their time and expertise.  I also have a sweet baby girl who looks great despite those abnormal tests!

A few weeks ago I wrote this post about some friends who were dealing with incredibly difficult situations with their little girl.  I wrote then that the Lord is the same - before and after any diagnosis - good or bad.  He is good, He is the same, He is LORD.  I still believe that to be true, even though I had no idea that in just a few short weeks, we would be walking in the midst of trying times in our own family.  This is our opportunity to walk the walk, and I am so grateful that we are not alone in this journey.  The Lord promises to be with us...He is God with us...He is our Immanuel.  Thank you, Lord, for that comfort.

Thanks also to all of you who have prayed and blessed us with words of encouragement, emails, calls, and unexpected visits (thanks, Cola girls!).   We are so grateful for dear friends and family who walk this path with us...what a blessing you all are!

Sweet Madeline

Here is a recent photo of our sweet baby girl.  She is full of smiles and coos these days, which blesses us tremendously.  Please keep her in your prayers as we navigate these next few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for total healing for Madeline and peace that passes all understanding for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your sweet baby- and all of the family!! Love to you all, Jenn Grainger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for your sweet girl and for you all! Love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete