Friday, January 27, 2012

You've got mail!



I love getting mail.  There is something about checking the mailbox and finding a card or note from someone special.  I have always loved writing (even though I am not always great at keeping up on here), and it is something that I hope to instill in the girls.  Clara is already becoming quite the letter writer - she leaves special messages in the mailbox of our neighbor, Emma, at least twice a week now.  I love Emma's excitement over receiving fun cards, and I especially love Clara's joy in working on something special for a friend.

Over the Christmas season, my dreams of mail really come true.  I love opening up festive envelopes and seeing pictures or reading notes of what friends and family are up to, especially ones far away and mostly out of touch.  It is difficult once Christmas is over to part with these sweet notes and pictures - I don't want to throw them away!  But, clutter runs rampant in my house, even without extra mail, so what to do?



This year, in answer to my dilemma, we have decided to do something a little more intentional with our cards.  Each of the cards we received was tossed into a bowl on our kitchen table.  Several times a week, we pull the top card out, talk to the girls about this family (how we know them, where they live, where we met, etc) and then pray for that family.  It so far has been a fun way to introduce the girls to families that they don't well (or at all) and to be more faithful in praying for our friends.  It also makes the parting of the picture/note a little easier!  I think this will be a fun tradition for our family, and also a way to prompt me to love others throughout the year with notes of encouragement.

Along those lines, I recently had a chance to review some cards through Dayspring's blog (in)courage.  I am always on the hunt for a fun card, and this collection of cards did not disappoint.




I love the fun colors and fonts, and each one has a sweet nugget of scripture tucked inside - love! I'm really looking forward to sending these out over the next few weeks.  Thanks, Dayspring!

No comments:

Post a Comment