Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A New Year

I am not big on resolutions.  It's not that I don't believe in them, or have things that I want changed in my life.  It's just that I have never really bought into the New Year's Resolution bit.  This year, as we have done with the oldest girls, Madeline gave up her pacifier for New Year's.  It has become a small tradition with the kids, and also an easy way to say goodbye to the pacifier before they are able to name it!

As I have been thinking about changes for my own life with the new year...exercising more, more consistent prayer, deeper investment in relationships with friends...I have come back to one common theme.  Change and newness are not natural to me.  It is not my natural desire to change, well, anything.  I tend to like things how they are, if for no other reason, it is comfortable.

As I have chewed on this for a week or so, I have been reminded through God's word that it is the Lord who changes and creates - not me!  He is the one who makes all things new (Rev 21:5) and who causes us to be born again to a living hope (1 Pet 1:3).  It's not natural for me to change because it's not supposed to be.  This new year is a reminder to me of my inability and his ability, of my lack and his sufficiency.  I have put off the old self and put on the new self (Eph 4:22-24) - not because I have changed anything, but because he has changed and is changing me!

Blessed be the God and Father of out Lord Jesus Christ!  According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  1 Peter 1:1-3

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment