Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Broken...

This post comes as I have been reading and studying as part of a bible study I have joined this fall.  I have to admit that my heart was a little (read - a lot) hard as I began this study as I miss the sweetness of my old bible study in Columbia so dearly, even 1 1/2 years later.  But...the Lord has been faithful in teaching me through His word, even when I am stubborn...:)

A few weeks ago, we spent some time in Psalm 23.  It's a psalm that I have read/learned/memorized a thousand times, but this time a section of verse 4 really jumped out at me...

"your rod and your staff, they comfort me"  Psalm 23:4b

Sounds good, right?  I have read this so many times, but I don't think I ever took the time to really think about what that verse means in my life.  The psalmist in this passage is reminding us that the Lord is our shepherd and we are his sheep.  So...what does the shepherd use his rod and staff for?  Correction and discipline.  In fact, as I read more about shepherds, I found that they often broke the legs of the small lambs to keep them from straying....yikes!  However, they then carried them on their shoulders for safe-keeping until the lambs were able to keep up with the rest of the flock.  

So, as I still chew on this passage, a lot comes to mind.  Do I really find comfort in the correction and discipline of the Lord?  Do I desire to be "broken" so that He can carry me for safe-keeping?  When is the last time I have really been broken before the Lord?

I so desire this for my life and for the reflection of Christ that I want to be for my sweet girls and the world around me.  What a sweet picture of the Lord in Psalm 23 - desiring to break us so that he can carry us for safe-keeping.  Oh...that I would find comfort in that! 

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Alli. thanks for sharing!
    nice blog, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete